Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Beginning a Book Blog

With 8 months left before I graduate from seminary, God-willing, I wanted to start a book review blog to capitalize on the opportunity afforded me through the past 3 years to read, discern, be challenged by, and process ideas by some great and famous authors, as well as many not so famous (and some not so great) authors.

From the very first semester when my Hermeneutics professor at Western Seminary, Dr. Gary Tuck, assigned Mortimer J. Adler's book simply titled "How to Read A Book", I've become a voracious reader, a speed reader, a critical reader, an appreciative reader, a discerning reader, and a skeptical reader. I read for main ideas (big pictures). I read for fun facts (quirky details). I read for pleasure. I read for assignments.




Last night, while at Green Apple Bookstore, I picked up a children's book called "It's a Book" by Lane Smith, a commentary on the various forms of technological communication (texting, instant messaging, blogging, etc.) that have overtaken contemporary readership.



I laughed at the very last line (won't give it away) because it was a reminder that even the simplicity of holding an actual book in your hand, flipping page after page, reading line by line, is such a lost art in today's emailing/blogging/texting/tweeting/posting lifestyle.

Since graduation is on the horizon, I figure it would be a good way to revisit some of the books I've read, and to share quotes, zingers, highlights, and big-picture thoughts that have rocked my world for the Glory of God! Maybe you'll even pick 'em up for yourself along the way and join me in remembering the simple joy of reading actual books again.

1 comment: